Improvement

I realized that my interviews have become more like a casual conversation, which allows the person to feel more relaxed and comfortable without getting nervous. Before, my interviews were very formal, which I ask questions and people answer them without going into tangent.

However, I realized that sometimes the best stories come in when the person is talking about something that is not related to the question. This is why listening is very important during interviews because I don't know when the "interesting" story will appear during the interview. Sometimes, what the person think as normal is what I think as very unique.

Today, I interviewed someone who was very nervous and worried about getting interviewed. However, I tried my best to calm her by making the interview as if it was a casual conversation, and at the end, she told me the most interesting story about her life without being hesitant. After the interview, she said that the interview was not as scary as she thought it would be and told me that she felt good and happy that she was able to talk about her story with me.

Comments

  1. It's so interesting to see how your feelings around the interview process have evolved. I feel like you have learned so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment